Choosing a seed company is an important decision for any gardener, as the quality of the seeds you purchase can greatly impact the success of your garden. With so many seed companies to choose from, it can be overwhelming to know where to start. Here are a few things to consider when selecting a seed company:
- Reputation: Look for a seed company that has a good reputation among other gardeners. Ask friends or fellow gardeners for recommendations, or check online gardening forums for feedback on different seed companies.
- Variety: Make sure the seed company has a wide variety of seeds available. This will ensure that you can find the specific type of plant you are looking for, as well as give you more options to choose from.
- Quality: Look for seed companies that have high-quality seeds. High-quality seeds will have a higher germination rate, which means more of the seeds you plant will grow into healthy plants. You can also look for seed companies that have been certified by organizations such as the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) or the Seed Savers Exchange.
- Packaging and storage: Check how the seed is packaged and stored. The seed should be packaged in a way that protects it from moisture, light and heat. Also, check the seed viability period. It will give you an idea about how long you can store the seed for germination.
- Service and Support: A good seed company should offer customer service and support. They should be able to answer your questions and provide advice on how to best care for the plants you are growing.
- Price: Compare prices between seed companies to ensure that you are getting a good value for your money. However, keep in mind that the cheapest seed is not always the best value. Quality, variety, and germination rate should also be considered.
In this video I share my five favorite seed companies:
By taking the time to research different seed companies and considering the above factors, you can be confident that you are choosing a reputable and reliable seed company that will provide you with high-quality seeds for a successful garden.
Leave a Reply